SIMPLE FAITH Who is God? Conversation Starters
- What stood out to you in the sermon? (Missed it? Try VancouverChurch.org/sermons)
- Read John 1:1-18. What caught your attention in this passage? What seemed clear? What seemed confusing?
- What do we learn about Jesus from this passage? List several specifics.
- Verse 14 explains that Jesus is the “Word”. Read the following insight from John Piper, then discuss it. “John calls Jesus the Word because he had come to see the words of Jesus as the truth of God and the person of Jesus as the truth of God in such a unified way that Jesus himself — in his coming, and working, and teaching, and dying and rising — was the final and decisive message of God. Or to put it more simply: what God had to say to us was not only or mainly what Jesus said, but who Jesus was and what he did. His words clarified himself and his work. But his self and his work were the main truth God was revealing. “I am the truth,” Jesus said (John 14:6).
- According to this passage, and specifically verse 18, why did Jesus become human and live among us?
- If you had to choose, which best describes you right now? (a) I have knowledge about God; or (b) I experience nearness to God. How do you feel about that? What do you need more: to increase your knowledge about Jesus or increase your nearness to Jesus? What are some good next steps for you to take to grow in this way?
- Discuss your willingness to take these steps you’ve defined and pray for each other. Be sure you give a few moments of stillness and silence before you start praying, to listen for any subtle promptings the Spirit may have for you in your time of prayer!