“Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you to come in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go visit you? “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”
Matthew 25: 37b-40
A. COMMUNITY SERVICE – It’s more than a ministry – it’s a MISSION MANDATE!
As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace.” 1 Peter 4:10
“What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. “ James 2:14-17
“Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” 1 John 3:18
“So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” Galatians 6:10
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it; Love your neighbor as yourself.” Matthew 27:37-39
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
B. COMMUNITY SERVICE – It’s providing BASIC NECESSITIES for those in need
• The Giving Closet
• Open House Ministries
• Kleen Street
• Sacajawea Elementary
C. COMMUNITY SERVICE – It offers COMPASSIONATE CARE for those who are vulnerable, hurting, and lonely
• Young Lives
• His Heart Foundation
• Options 360
• Medical Teams International
• Arbor Ridge Assisted Living
• Breaking Free
• Portland Fellowship
• Bridge the Gap
• Lions Sight Foundation
• Community Services are Born
• Share House
- The writers of the New Testament seem to be in agreement that service to others is an essential part of the Christian experience. Why is that true?
- Where have you been able to put your “faith” to “work” in specific action? How did you feel about that experience?
- Why is providing BASIC NECESSITIES such an important starting point for true community service?
- What does offering COMPASSIONATE CARE communicate to those receiving it? Why is that important?
- Which of the partnerships mentioned pull at your heartstrings? If you could, how would you like to be involved in that type of ministry?