John 21 tells the story of the disciples having breakfast with Jesus along the shore of the Sea of Galilee – nothing like “fish and scrambled eggs”
BUT IT’S WHAT HAPPENS AFTER BREAKFAST THAT IS THE FOCUS TODAY!
Jesus chooses this moment to reinstate Peter, but not until after He has offered Peter some not so gentle correction
Let me suggest to you this morning that we’re not all that different from that burly fisherman called Peter! We, too, are very “imperfect” disciples that need some not so gentle correction from time to time!
TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE STILL LIVING IN THE MESS OF THEIR FAILURES
Notice with me 3 things from this encounter between Jesus and Peter that are worthy of our consideration!
A. JESUS ISN’T AFRAID TO HURT YOUR FEELINGS! – John 21:17
B. JESUS LOVES PEOPLE MORE THAN ANYTHING! – John 21: 15-17
C. FAILURE ISN’T FATAL! – John 21:19, 22
CONCLUSION: John was intentional about the things he shared in his gospel account
“But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” -John 20:31
Maybe you’ve made a mess of things — don’t wallow in it! Surrender your mess and listen to what Jesus is saying to you today. He loves you, and His forgiveness is a call to serve – just like Peter!
1. How has God had to “hurt your feelings” for your own good in the past? How did you respond to this act of “not so gentle correction”?
2. How have those moments been a catalyst for change in your life?
3. Who have been the hardest people for you to love? Why? How does this point of loving others challenge you spiritually right now?
4. How has God helped you to move beyond your past failures? What did you learn in the process?
5. How has the “why” questioned hindered you in the past?
6. What does it mean to “surrender your mess”? How do you need to consider that today?