Luke 4:18-19 NIV
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
Luke 4:18 TPT
…He has anointed me to be hope for the poor…
Resourcing those in need is MY responsibility.
Mark 10:17-23 ESV
“And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.” And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. And Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How difficult it will be for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!””
God loves the POOR …
…God loves those with MORE
Resourcing those in need is not an OPTION but an OPPORTUNITY
Pray: “God, help me love my money a little LESS so I can give it away a little MORE.”
- We’re just beginning our 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting. Share with the group how you are fasting and what you are praying.
2. Pray together:
a. Pray for each other’s time of prayer and fasting to be rich and meaningful.
b. Pray for God to lead the small group conversation.
3. Share about a time when you were in need and someone gave you a gift to meet that need. What was that experience like?
4. When it comes to sharing your resources with the poor, what grade would you give yourself
(A, B, C, D, or F) and why?
5. Read Mark 10:17-31
a. What do you like about this passage?
b. What do you find confusing or challenging about this passage?
6. Why do you think it’s so difficult for many people to share their resources with those who have less?
7. Take some time to discuss a way that you can apply Jesus’ words from Luke 4, “…proclaim good news to the poor,” as an individual and as a group.
8. End your time by praying that God would help you love your money a little less, and love giving away a little more.