- Are you more of a structured and disciplined person, or more of a laid back and free spirited person? Share an example.
2. What do you like or dislike about structure and discipline? Explain.
3. Before we open up the Bible together, ask God to speak and guide the group as you read and look to apply John 15 to your own life.
4. Read John 15:1-11 as a group. What do you like about this passage? What questions does it create for you?
5. Which of the 6 ½ benefits of spiritual disciplines is most motivating and why?
• Answered PRAYER
• Bear much fruit: CHARACTER and IMPACT
• Greater awareness of God’s LOVE
• Courage to OBEY
• Increased JOY
• Receive REST
6. Jesus makes it clear that in order to grow in our fruitfulness, we need to stay connected to him or abide. What spiritual disciplines come most natural to you? Which disciplines have you tried that are difficult but meaningful? Which of the disciplines that you haven’t tried, would you like to experiment with during this series?
INWARD OUTWARD CORPORATE
Meditation Simplicity Confession
Prayer Solitude Worship
Fasting Submission Guidance
Study Service Celebration
7. What can you do this week to grow in the area of spiritual disciplines?
• Take RESPONSIBILITY for your spiritual growth
• READ books on Spiritual disciplines
• REARRANGE your schedule
• RE-ENGAGE in spiritual disciplines
8. End your time by praying for each person’s action step.