• What stood out to you in the sermon? (Missed it? Try VancouverChurch.org/sermons)
• Was is your favorite customer service experience of all time? Basically, describe a business that went the ‘second mile’ to serve you well.
• Read aloud Matthew 5:38-42. What stands out to you in this passage? Why do you think Jesus is dramatic in his teaching on love and relationships? Describe someone who has cared for you with this “second mile” love that Jesus is commanding.
• Read aloud Matthew 5:13-16 & John 13:34-35. What does it mean to be salt and light in the world? What does it mean to lose your saltiness and hide your light from the world?
• How would you describe the current condition of your relational life? List three relationships that are thriving and three that are struggling.
• What would it look like for you to apply “Second Mile” sacrifice to each of those relationships? (Write a phrase next to each name) How would that affect you and the relationship? Who would see God more clearly as a result?
• Over this six-week series, we invite you to follow Jesus in the way of the Second Mile relationships. Check the commitment you are willing to make to grow in your relational health, so others can see God more clearly.
_ Read Matthew 5 each week
_ Attend each Sunday I’m in town & healthy
_ Practice a specific act of Second Mile love every week
_ Listen to sermons online if I miss a Sunday
_ Join a ROOTED Group in February
_ Work through discussion questions for each sermon with someone
• Pray that you learn the teachings of Jesus, but even more importantly, that you practice them.
• If you don’t currently have a reading plan, below is a weekly reading schedule for the six-week Second Mile sermon series.
MONDAY — Matthew 5:1-12
TUESDAY — Matthew 5:13-20
WEDNESDAY — Matthew 5:21-26
THURSDAY — Matthew 5:27-32
FRIDAY — Matthew 5:33-37
SATURDAY — Matthew 5:38-48