MORE ‘Delivering the Gifts of the Spirit’ Conversation Starters
- What stood out to you in the sermon? (Missed it? Try VancouverChurch.org/sermons)
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:7-11. List each “manifestation of the Spirit” mentioned and discuss your understanding of each one and how they lead to the “common good”.
- We defined the gifts of the Spirit as the tangible works of divine energy delivered through individual believers. How have you experienced this in your life? How has that experience impacted you and others?
- Last week we learned there was a lot of spiritual pride in this new church, and severe divisions were forming. It might be described as “the power team vs. the truth team”. If you haven’t already, for each line, put a check next to the item that is most familiar to you, then discuss.
“POWER TEAM” is passionate about: “TRUTH TEAM” is passionate about:
О The power of God О The truth of God
О The Holy Spirit О The Holy Bible
О feeling God’s faithfulness О knowing God’s faithfulness
О heart & emotions О mind & commitment
О faith leading to miracles О faith in the absence of miracles
О songs О sermons
О mystery & risk О certainty & order
О dramatic testimonies of present times О dramatic testimonies of biblical times
О sudden & radical life transformations О steady & life-long sanctification
5. 1 Corinthians 14:1 says, “Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.” How do you feel about this command? Have you ever attempted to obey it? Why? How has that impacted your life and others? If not, what are the barriers for you?
• Not my style
• Not sure the Spirit does this stuff
• Not sure what it means
• Doesn’t seem crucial
• I’m not spiritual enough
• Was taught to avoid such things
• Not sure how to proceed
• Feels awkward
• Too uncomfortable
• Never really thought about it
• Hard to give up control
• Other _____________________
6. You were made to deliver divine gifts from the Holy Spirit to other people: Do you want to?
О Yes … with all that I am. I ask the Holy Spirit all the time to pour his divine gifts through me.
О Maybe … but I don’t really know much about the gifts of the Spirit.
О Not if … _________________________________________________
7. What can you do to grow in each of the following areas? Discuss and pray for each other accordingly!
- Increase your desire to deliver divine gifts
- Increase your skills to deliver divine gifts
- Increase your love for God’s family