MORE ‘The Bible and The Spirit’ Conversation Starters
1) What stood out to you in the sermon? (Missed it? Try VancouverChurch.org/sermons)
2) Read aloud I Corinthians 12:1-26. What are some of the main themes? What caught your attention? Keep in mind that the Corinthian followers of Jesus came out of a culture that worshiped many different gods that they believed were dwelling in statues. Part of Paul’s point is to remind them that they were really spiritually lost before Jesus, and even now they are susceptible to spiritual ignorance that leads to pride.
3) Read aloud I Corinthians 12:27-31. Make a list of the different callings and giftings, then describe how each of those gifts helps others.
4) This series is a study of 1 Corinthians 12, 13 & 14, where we learn there was a lot of spiritual pride in this new church, and that severe divisions were forming; it might be described as “the power team vs. the truth team”. On the list below, for each line, put a check next to the item that is most familiar to you, then discuss your responses.
“POWER TEAM” is passionate about: “TRUTH TEAM” is passionate about:
( ) The power of God ( ) The truth of God
( ) The Holy Spirit ( ) The Holy Bible
( ) feeling God’s faithfulness ( ) knowing God’s faithfulness
( ) heart & emotions ( ) mind & commitment
( ) faith leading to miracles ( ) faith in the absence of miracles
( ) songs ( ) sermons
( ) mystery & risk ( ) certainty & order
( ) dramatic testimonies of present times ( ) dramatic testimonies of biblical times
( ) sudden & radical life transformations ( ) steady & life-long sanctification
5) Which of these two ‘teams’ do you most naturally fit into? How do you feel about that? Who do you most like about ‘your’ team? Which items from the ‘other team’ do you wish you could experience more of?
6) Summer Spiritual Growth Plan. Check the elements you are committed to pursuing for the next 8 weeks:
( ) Praying daily
( ) Reading 1 Corinthians 12-14
( ) Seeking spiritually
( ) Ask God for more desire for Him
( ) My current reading plan
( ) Sunday worship ____ /8 weeks
( ) Learn about the Holy Spirit
( ) Participate in a Life Group
( ) Interact with the Holy Spirit
7) List and share a few outcomes you hope to see as a result of this Summer Spiritual Growth Plan, and pray together.