Happy to Share ‘Putting God To The Test’ Conversation Starters
- What stood out to you in the sermon? (Missed it? Try VancouverChurch.org/sermons)
- Read the following aloud Leviticus 27:30-24. What does this tell us about the practices of tithing back in the days of Old Covenant Israel?
- Read the following aloud Malachi 3:6-12. What stands out to you? Why is tithing considered an act of worship?
- Read aloud Matthew 23:23-24. What does this tell us about Jesus’ perspective on tithing?
- The Malachi passage on tithing was spoken to Israel, which was a theocracy (a nation whose king is God himself). The promise about tithing spoke specifically about material possessions. How might Jesus’ view of tithing extend beyond the material blessings described in Malachi?
- Growing up, did your family experience tithing? How did that impact you? Regarding tithing, speak to your motivations and emotion. How has your experience of tithing affected your spiritual life?
- The teachings of Jesus and the New Testament seem to view tithing as a starting point for new believers, intended to grow into a lifestyle of ever-increasing tangible trust and generosity. What are your thoughts on this starting point of tithing and where it leads?
- What do you believe God is calling you to do right now regarding the spiritual practice of tithing? End your time in prayer for each other.